Monday, September 1, 2008

ramblings on Claire's photos

Met with Joey and Claire today.
I really like Camrose Hill Flower Garden. Want to go see it. It's simple and easy and beautiful.

Claire has some lovely work in photos. I get them. I think I'd be happy to help her expand her portfolio with a wedding. It looks like she likes getting in the action and taking good ... what's that called?... non-posed, action shots... um. There's a word for that. Uhh. Candid!! That's it. Candids are important to me.
She also has great framing -- artistic but not trendy. Very important as well.
Portraits were pretty.

I worry about 1. lighting. For photographers who are still gaining XP, lighting is one of the toughest things, and an outdoor, Christmas-light and candle lit wedding where people are dancing poses difficulties when it comes to capturing professional, non-blurry shots. Her photos where things looked slower and where she could take her time where just lovelylovely, but some of the quicker shots captured a little too much movement. Well, I still liked them, actually. And I would want some like that for the wedding -- capturing the feel, you know? Dancing and drinking and laughter and friends always looks like that. But I worry that with dim lighting... you know.

I also worry about 2. XP. She's a good photographer, I can tell. But she's young, and never done a wedding.
Here's the thing: Can't hit if you don't swing. I'm totally willing to let Claire blow me away with awesome photos of Joey's awesome wedding for me. We'll have to discuss how much she'd do the wedding for, but if it reasonably matches her experience, I'm down.
She won't be the only one taking pictures. There will be lots of cameras, hopefully Chris' hi def video camera -- and I love the idea of disposable cameras lying around for people to take pictures on. I mean, Claire won't be able to be everywhere at once.

Questions --
Does Claire have all the hardware to make it happen? (Flashes and diffusers for low light setting.)
How much?
How much do I want her to photograph? The days before when people are in town (rehearsal dinner??)? Chili cooking? Putting on the dress? Portraits? ... Maybe the better question is: how much is she willing to photograph?

No comments: